Elixir: First Impressions
For the longest time now, I’ve admired Erlang from afar. It always seemed to be a bit daunting to take on. For one, there was the slightly weird and inconsistent Prolog-inspired syntax (I was always scratching my head over why this place needs a period and that place doesn’t), and then there was just plain weird stuff like one-based indexes. While you don’t end up needing indexes very often, a nice syntax on top of Erlang is something I always kind of wanted, but nothing really could deliver.


Write gmail filters in a nice Ruby DSL: gmail-britta
I’ve just finished (mostly) documenting and writing tests for my latest little library, gmail-britta, so thought I should release it to the world as a sort of holiday gift. Gmail-britta is a library that lets you write Gmail filters (hah, Britta, get it?) in a way that doesn’t drive you insane - you write them as a ruby program, run that program, and out comes XML that you can import into Gmail’s filter settings.


Some more updates
So I’ve been moving stuff off my 6 year old server to a machine hosted in Germany lately. I hope to bring back Boinkmarks on it some day soon. (Not in the way I brought back the git repos, though - no outsourcing for benchmarks!) (-: There are a couple state changes in my projects that would not warrant a blog post on their own, but I think as a whole are still something to write home about:


Git lives again - somewhere else
I’ve revived the git repos affected by this outage - the cvs->git conversion is now alive again, and the repos there are now kept on github.com. Turns out there are only two more CVS repos left that I was converting to git: McCLIM and SLIME. So, they’re online again, and I hope you still find them useful. If you are missing any repos that I forgot to move, please send me a note.


git.boinkor.net outage
I’m currently moving some of boinkor.net’s services off the creaky old machine that used to host it, over to another machine. This affects git.boinkor.net - it’s not going to be available for the next 2 days. (With a bit of luck, it may be back up a little sooner, though.) This probably affects you if you follow the slime and mcclim git repos hosted there. This was caused by a case of really bad planning on my part.


Converting the Mustache Test Suite to CL
Matthew Snyder has a great introductory post on his blog where he converts the Mustache spec into a runnable fiveam test suite. Very cool stuff - I hope he posts more (-:


IDNA Now Supports Punycode Decoding

My IDNA library now supports decoding IDNA strings via the to-unicode function:


Accessing the Stripe API From Lisp
Stripe is a new payment processor on the Web, and they seem to be a lot less insane than Paypal. On a whim, I made a little (almost completely untested, toy) CL library for accessing their HTTP API from Lisp. Maybe you’ll find it useful: cl-stripe. This was pretty great fun! Thanks to their nice HTTP API, drakma, and alexandria, I have been able to write this with a minimum of horribly hacky code, in just 5 or 6 hours of working on it, on and off, this saturday afternoon.


A Weird Problem With ASDF on NFS (and a workaround)
Recently, we at Franz have been seeing weird failures when building a certain ASDF system on NFS: We were intermittently getting redefinition warnings when loading a system - not all the time, but more often when we compiled during certain timeslots. This was a weird one, and I think it would be nice to record what this is, and how we figured out what’s going on (and how we arrived at our work-around).


New Lisp Tips Blogs
As of today, there are two new Lisp tips blogs on the web: Common Lisp tips by Xach and SLIME tips by Stas. Both already have some nice stuff that I didn’t know about, so I hope they keep the tips coming!